Do you remember, sister, the warm nights on the sidewalk
When a nearby train left us old
Rare longings under the gentle temperance of the rose bush?..."
“Caserón de Tejas” (Cátulo Castillo)
Its date of origin dates back to November 23, 1855. When, after the government of Juan Manuel de Rosas, a town was created in the extreme north of the Restaurador's lands, which was called La Calera.
On December 6, 1857, the name of the town was approved by decree, in tribute to the creator of the flag. Thanks to its good location, it grew quickly, becoming declared a city in a few years, with the creation of the Belgrano district.
Did you know that the neighborhood was originally a municipality belonging to the Province of Buenos Aires? Until September 28, 1887, the Province of Buenos Aires ceded the districts of San José de Flores and Belgrano to the Nation, in this way, the town became dependent on the Municipality of the City of Buenos Aires, becoming a new neighborhood.
Since those times, Belgrano was one of the most residential and picturesque neighborhoods in the City. It has a large number of old and important stately mansions, many in the English style. And typical buildings from the late 19th century. In contrast to them, modern and sophisticated buildings have been built.
Formerly, the area of the neighborhood was called “Chacarita de los Colegiales”, because it was the farm or country house where students from the Buenos Aires National School (formerly San Ignacio School) spent their summer vacations. And given that on September 21 of each year Student Day is celebrated, based on what was decided by the Board of Historical Studies of Chacarita and Colegiales, said date was instituted as "Colegiales Neighborhood Day" (law 1,060, sanctioned on 09/18/2003, by the legislature of the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires).
Furthermore, as the writer Miguel Cané alludes to those school vacations in his book “Juvenilia” (1884), which he himself experienced, and since 1863 was the year in which he entered the Buenos Aires National School, the law symbolically declares 21 September 1863 as the day of the birth of the neighborhood.
The neighborhood is known throughout the world thanks to the comedian Quino, who chose this district for his Mafalda comic strip. Today there is a “Mafalda” plaza on Condes and Concepción Arenal streets, in honor of its author.
It was founded by the landowner and businessman Don Florencio Emeterio Núñez, on Sunday, April 27, 1873, together with the current neighborhood of Saavedra, and he was also the one who donated land for the layout of the railroad tracks and the train station.
With the start of operation of a special train that left at 11 in the morning on a Sunday from the 25 de Mayo station, carrying some 2,000 people who had decided to settle in that area, they were received by the founder himself.
Upon arriving in Núñez they went to the artificial lake of Saavedra, in the park that currently bears that name. There a gondola was blessed, followed by a banquet after which Mr. Florencio Núñez and Dr. José Francisco López gave speeches alluding to the events.
On that same day, the Northern Railway station, named after the founder of the neighborhood, had been inaugurated.
After that, the lands were fragmented and parceled out, and thus the first buildings began to be built; For that reason the station and the neighborhood took its name.