Its birth is linked to Don Juan Manuel de Rosas, who around 1836 acquired these lands by building his residence on them. It was located in the southeast corner of the current Av. del Libertador and Sarmiento. After Caseros, he occupied the Urquiza house, and after those hectic years, it was the headquarters of the School of Arts and Crafts, the Military College and the Naval School.
On November 11, 1875, Sarmiento's initiative came to fruition and the Tres de Febrero Park was inaugurated. Shortly after, the Botanical Garden and the Zoological Garden were created.
Tango also settled in Palermo and Hansen was its mythological setting, at the time when the Maldonado stream was still open to the sky, and the corners of the neighborhood did not imagine that some time later they would harbor the legend of cradling countless handsome men in their ochavas. and evil.
In 1889 the old Restorer house was demolished; In 1917 the famous gates that served as entrance to the park disappeared, and whose name was adopted by the popular toponymy to designate Plaza Italia and its surroundings.
Regarding the origin of the name of this neighborhood, discussions still continue. The first of the two most widespread and possible hypotheses links this name with Juan Domínguez Palermo, who at the beginning of the 17th century was the owner of the lands; The second tells us that it derives from an oratory in which an image of Saint Benedict of Palermo was venerated.
Currently Palermo is a residential and recreational neighborhood. Within its limits are the so-called "Palermo Forests", which include large parks and green spaces. It is an important gastronomic, cultural and audiovisual center and is one of the favorite destinations for tourists who visit the City.